|::Departments : Pre & Para Clinical : PATHOLOGY|
DEPARTMENT OF PATHOLOGY
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT :
The Department of pathology, Chengalpattu Medical College was started in a thatched roof building during the period 1965 in the hospital premises located at the present Ortho ward. There after it was shifted to the new premises at the Examination hall building during the period 1968. At present the department is functioning in the ground floor of the building.
ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES :
PARA MEDICAL COURSE
1. B Sc Nursing
2.Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Respiratory Technician Course
- Orthopaedic Technician Course
||5 ½ yrs
|Sanctioned Number of Seats
||Dr.MGR Med univ
||Dr.MGR Med univ
||King Institute, Guindy
||King Institute, Guindy
|University Examination Details
||Name of the Faculty
||DR. S. RAVI
PERIODIC ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES HELD IN THE DEPARTMENT :
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS :
- Teaching two batches of undergraduate MBBS students, second year BSC Nursing Students, Two batches of Medical Laboratory Technology with LCD Projector, OHP Projector, TV monitor with attached computer and camera and Microscopes.
- Periodical internal assessment tests
- Viva voce for MBBS students
- Conducting symposium, seminar, tutorial and interactive sessions for MBBS students.
- Integrated teaching methodologies along with other non-clinical, preclinical and clinical departments
- Regularly presenting clinical Pathological cases in the Clinical Society meeting conducted at the Hospital which will inspire the students in learning about the disease and upgrade the knowledge shared by the senior faculty members.
- To motivate students to actively participate in Symposium
- Presentatation of Pathological cases in Indian Council of Medical Research.
- Preparation of chart for Museum specimens.
COMPLETED RESEARCH PROJECTS:
1.Comparison of FNAC with PCR in the diagnosis of Tuberculous lymphadenitis.
2.Microbiological analysis of aspirates from lymph node FNAC’s( ICMR )
3.FNAC and histopathological correlation in thyroid lesions.
4.Cytological Analysis of irradiation effects of carcinoma of cervix.( ICMR )
5. Analysis of immunohistochemical expression of p16ink4a in preneoplastic and neoplastic squamous cell lesions of cervix
6. Detection of p16ink4a in non-oropharyngeal head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
7.Randomised histo-pathological study of liver in autopsy specimens
8.Analysis of types of lung lesions in postmortem specimens
9.Study of coronary artery disease in postmortem specimens
10.Study of leiomyoma induced changes in endometrium in hysterectomy specimen
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECTS:
1.Randomised autopsy of liver in postmortem cases.
2.Histopathological study of prostatic lesions.
3.Comparison of thyroid FNAC with and without USG guidance.
4.Analysis of immunohistochemical expression cd10 lesions of prostate.
5.Analysis of stromal expression of cd 10 as a prognostic factor in breast carcinoma.
6. Analysis of expression of p63 and calponin in git malignancies.
7. Role of expression of p63 and calponin in prostate malignancies.
8. Histopathological findings in cervix biopsy in VIA /VILLI positive cases.
9.Peripheral smear findings in diabetes mellitus patients
10.Assesment of hemoglobin using pulse oximeter as a quick and cheap alternative to cell counter method.
11.Comparison of VIA positivity with Pap smear in the diagnosis of cervical lesions
12.Study of evaluation of peripheral smear changes in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis before starting and after completion of ATT
13.Analysis of types of lung lesions in postmortem specimens
14.Screening of routine peripheral smear for hypersegmented neutrophils
15.comparison of leishman’s staining with H & E staining techniques in study of FNAC smears
16.Buccal smear cytological analysis using AGNOR in Pan/Tobacco users in the diagnosis of precancerous lesions
17.Study of coronary artery disease in postmortem specimens
18.Evaluation of rapid diagnostic kits in comparison with routine smear examination in the diagnosis of Malaria
19.Study of usage of liquid paraffin as mounting media as cheap and alternative for DPX in FNAC/cytological smears
20.Study of types of anemia in antenatal cases attending OPD of Chengalpattu Medical College Hospital
21.Study of types of ovarian and Para ovarian cyst in total hysterectomy specimen received
22.Role of HPV infection in cases of upper respiratory and GI tract malignancy
List of Publications in NATIONAL JOURNALS:
1.LAER-New Diagnostic tool for tissue diagnosis Biomedicine:2011;31(4):
2.Effects of Ofloxacin in the treatment of Multibacillary Leprosy: Journal of Leprosy.
3.Comparison Of FNAC with PCR in the diagnosis of Tuberculosis in lymph Node aspirate:
Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology.
4.Cytomorphology of Fibromatosis Coli: Journal of Cytology Jan2009/Vol 26/Issue 1
5.Metanephric stromal Tumor -Novel Paediatric Renal Neoplasm – IJPM 52(3)July – Sept
6.OSCE in pathology – JCDR ( 2011 )
7.A Rare case of peritoneal mice presenting as acute abdomen-IOSR 2013
8.Ossifying fibromyxoid tumour in a rare site –International journal of
Biological and medical research2013
9. A rare case of renal tumour-JCDR-2013
10.A Rare osteolytic lesion of calcaneum-international journal of pharmacy and biological sciences-2013
11.Squamous cell carcinoma arising in benign cystic teratoma-IOSR2013
12.A Rare case of metastasis in paranasal sinuses- Journal of evolution of medical and dental sciences-2014
13.Ductal apocrine adenoma in a male breast-IOSR-2014
PRIZES AND AWARDS CONSTITUTED BY THE DEPARTMENT
· A medal along with a certificate and cash prize will be awarded to the topper in the medal exam
conducted in the department in coordination with the Chengalpattu Medicos Alumni association.
· Having collaboration with AIIMS, New Delhi for External Quality Control in histopathology technique and got 4/5
PRIZES AND AWARDS WON
1.Update on Leukemias and Stem Cell Banking – 26th April, 2011.
2.Recent Trends in Carcinoma Of Cervix – 18th April, 2012.
3.Diabetes Mellitus Myths and Mystery _ 27th September,2012.
4.Glossary of gastroenterology- July2013.
5.GLIMPLES OF GENITOURINARY PATHOLOGY-2014
6.KALEIDOSOPE OF PATHOLOGY- JUNE 12 AND 13 ,2015
7.Essence of endocrinology- January 8,2016
Having collaboration with AIIMS, New Delhi for External Quality Control in histopathology technique.
Presented 6 cases in clinical society meeting conducted at Chengalpattu Medical College Hospital.
1.Angiomyolipoma of Kidney.
2.Gastro Intestinal Stromal Tumor.
3.Invasive Micropapillary Carcinoma of Breast with Coexistent Tuberculosis Axillary Lymph node.
4.Primary Renal Lymphoma.
5.Ossifying Fibromyxoid Tumor of Soft tissue.
6.Follicular Carcinoma Metastasis To The Paranasal Sinuses.
7Eccrine syringofibroadenoma and chondroid syringoma.
9.Synchronous tumor of kidney.
11.Sarcomatoid carcinoma of penis.
13.Synchronous tumors in albino patient.
14.An interesting case of breast carcinoma.
15.Interesting cases of skin tag.
16.Rare case of spinal cord lesion – Neurocysticercosis
17. Rare case of embryonal carcinoma arising from spermatic cord.
18.Mixed germ cell tumour.
Presented 2 cases in IAPM meeting in Tamilnadu Pondicherry chapter.
1.A case of Sarcomatoid RCC.
2.Basaloid squamous Cell Carcinoma of Lung.
2.Cytological Study (Fluids/CSF/Semen/sputum/stool)
4.Fine needle aspiration cytology
6.Bone marrow analysis.
7.Autopsy sample study.
11.Apart from routine pathological Laboratory work we undertake tests like Special stains, Immunohistochemistry.HB Electrophoresis, LE cell test and Urine for Bence Jones Protein.
Department of Pathology-Chengalpattu Medical College.
||CSF & OTHERS