|::Departments : Pre & Para Clinical : ANATOMY|
DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY
The Department of Anatomy in Chengalpattu Government Medical college – was initiated by Dr.JAYAVELU M.B.B.S.,M.Sc.,Anatomy, Dip. In Anthropology in 1965 with 75 students, in which 50 students were admitted herein and the rest 25 students from Salem.
Along with, Dr.CICELIA ISSAC M.B.B.S. M.Sc., Anatomy was posted here- who raised the helping hands with Dr. JAYAVELU, to establish this department with fully equipped Dissection Hall, Histology Lab, Research Lab, Departmental Library, Museum, Embalming room, Cadaver tanks, Burial pits and water- maceration tanks.
Dr. JAYAVELU was the FIRST person to HEAD the department and continued for a decade up to 1975. As Dr. Jayavelu was an anthropologist, he made the full effort in furnishing the departmental museum with the comparative anatomical aspects with various full skeletons and also the individual bones. As Dr. Jayavelu was also the college principal the department was updated with, THE THEN LATEST INSTRUMENTS - equalizing the quality as equal to the institutional level.
As Dr.Cicelia Issac was a very learned anatomist, she sowed the greatest efficiency in establishing the departmental museum with varieties of beautiful dissections mounted therein; updated the departmental library with needed different authors books; and prepared so much of histology slides for the study- teaching- and research purposes- both in the form of projection slides and microscopic slides, enormous work that exceeded the quality of city colleges even. Dr.Cicelia Issac headed the department from 1975 to 1982 and designed the department originally.
The period from 1965 to 1982 with Dr.Jayavelu, Dr. Cessalia issac and Mr.Chandrasekar- was the golden period for the department of anatomy wherein all the facilities were adopted and updated for the easy maintenance thereafter till today.
During this period,
I) All the basic requirements were procured,
ii) Staff quarters were established
iii) Statues of great persons were modelled
iv) College emblem with two students were designed
v) Sculpture work in the entrance of anatomy block and anthropology work at the entrance of dissection hall were organised and made them engraved with the help of the artist – Mr. Doss.
vi) In 1972, All India Conference of Anatomical Society of India was successfully conducted with 600 delegates
vii) Later on histology charts in revolving stands were designed first by Mr.Chandrasekar who rendered the service for 20 years from 1980 March to 2000 April.
Since 1965 to till today 2019 the department were headed by the following anatomists:
I) Dr Jayavelu
ii) Dr.Cicelia Issac
iv) Dr.Askar Ali
vi) Dr.Swayam Jothi
vii) Dr.Asha Latha
viii) Dr. Bharathi
x) Dr. A.Senthamil Selvi and
During the period of Dr. Swayam Jothi in 1991- the state conference of Anatomical society of Tamil nadu was conducted in this department.
Dissertations by the M.B.B.S. students were awarded prizes for 3 times which were guided by Mr.Chandrasekar. Histology wall hanging charts were prepared and made them hung in the histology lab.
During the period of Dr.T. L. Anbumani, in 2006- the pits in the departmental burial ground were extended in numbers from 6 to 16. Histology wall hanging charts were designed for easy visualisation for the academic purpose of students.
Prize exam for first M.B.B.S. anatomy students was introduced in April 2010 by Dr.A.Senthamizhselvi. Since 2010 August, by now 5 batches have marched through their prize exams successfully. Under the guidance of Dr.A. Senthamilselvi, 2 students of our college – Dinkar Srikumar and P.V.Sudharsan presented anatomy papers individually in the state conference held in October 2011, in Melmaruvathur Institute of Medical Sciences, Melmaruvathur and won the awards individually.
The numbers of students were increased from 50 to 100 in the year 2012, which was the long term goal of Chengalpattu Medical College.
At present the department is headed by Dr.V.Rajapriya. Under her guidance the new wall hanging charts were prepared by 1st year M.B.B.S., students and utilised for the academic purpose in the dissection hall. She also introduced the following academic activities like Daily slip test, Daily practice of diagrams, Pre dissection classes and allotment of mentors for the benefit of 1st year students. Conducted parent – teacher meeting for the student’s academic performance improvement.
Under Dr B. Santhi , the new competency based curriculum as per MCI for I MBBS has been successfully implemented.
Students are motivated and trained to participate in intercollegiate anatomy quiz competitions. The students are motivated to involve in research activities .
Recently in February 2016 new mortuary chamber was installed in the department. Daily reporting of unclaimed cadavers of non medico legal cases is done and their fitness for embalming is observed to increase the number of cadavers for dissection purpose of first year M.B.B.S students. We also encourage,appreciate and acknowledge the voluntary body donation after death .
||Name of the Faculty
The faculties of the department attended the International conference of Anatomy and 37th National conference of anatomical society of Tamilnadu -2016 and presented various papers at the conference held at Sri Balaji medical college,Chennai. In addition all the faculties do lot of research work in the department and published their original articles in National and International journals .
The department is equipped with Dissection Hall with adequate cadavers, Histology Lab with excellently stained slides and microscopes, Research Lab, Departmental Library/Seminar hall, Lecture hall, Demonstration halls with adequate audio visual aids, Museum with all the required divisions, Embalming room, Cadaver tanks, specimen storage tanks and burial pits. Proper ventilation and lighting facilities, rest room facilities are also maintained. Biodegradable waste are properly channelized for disposal.
a)Medical undergraduation -- MBBS
b)Paramedical undergraduation ---- i)B.Sc. Nursing
ii) B.Sc. Radiology
c) Certificate courses --- Anaesthesia technician
Emergency care technician
] Theatre technician
Periodic academic activities :
1) Didactic lectures
3) Pre-dissection classes
5) Histology practical
6) Clinical anatomy (OSPE CHARTS)
9) CME programmes
10) Integrated teaching both horizontal and vertical
11) Daily Slip test of previous classes
12) Internal assessment test both theory and practical
13) Record work both macroscopic and microscopic anatomy
14) intra- departmental quiz
15) Prize exam for I M.B.B.S. students
16) Daily practice of diagrams
17) Radiological anatomy (basics in X-rays ,CT,MRI )
18) Developmental anatomy (lectures,models,charts)
19) Osteology classes (articulated skeleton,individual bones)
20) Surface anatomy classes
UG academic activities March 2019 – May 2020 Reg
- Conducted I MBBS ( 2018-19 batch) University Theory / Practical exams in August/September 2019.
- New teaching schedule formulated and adhered in lieu with the New MCI Curriculum for I MBBS (2019-20).
- I MBBS students (2018-19 batch) participated in Model making competition held at SRM medical college in March 2019 & won the II nd price.
- I MBBS students (2018-19 batch) participated in Rangoli competition held at SRM medical college in April 2019 & won the Ist price.
- I MBBS students (2018-19 batch) participated in Painting competition held at MMC medical college in April 2019 & won the II nd price.
- I MBBS students (2018-19 batch) participated in Model making competition held at Tagore medical college in May 2019 & won the II nd price.
- I MBBS students (2018-19 batch) participated in Quiz competition held at Tanjavur medical college in November 2019.
- Vinayaga Mission Medical College & Research Institute has conducted Anatomy Conference where our student V.Seshagopal Rao was felicitated for securing Gold Medal in Anatomy(UG) MGR University Exam.
- I M.B.B.S students : online classes started
ONGOING RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
||Comparison of Cephalic Index in dry skull, CT scan and MRI Scan
||Physical and Psychological response of I MBBS in the Dissection Hall
||Effect of foundation course in I MBBS students- A Prospective study
Conferences ,CME,WORKSHOP conducted :
- ALL INDIA CONFERENCE OF ANATOMICAL SOCIETY OF INDIA -1972
- THE STATE CONFERENCE OF ANATOMICAL SOCIETY OF TAMILNADU – 1991
- 37th ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF TAMILNADU ASSOCIATION OF ANATOMIST- 2014
- CME ON “BASICS IN EMBRYOGENESIS” ON 13 MAY 2016 ACCREDITED WITH 10 CREDIT POINTS UNDER CATEGORY II BY THE TAMILNADU DR.MGR MEDICAL UNIVERSITY